The ability to share files and folders easily are highlights of SharePoint and OneDrive platforms. It let your employees and teams collaborate more efficiently in a quick manner. However, it is essential to set up the link type to share files and folders in SharePoint Online. By this, you can quickly share a file or folder by sending a link.
The link type should be picked based on the kind of users to which the files need to be shared. Let’s give you a good awareness of the type of link types available.
Available link types
- ‘Anyone with the link’. In the past, it was also known as Shareable or Anonymous access.
- People with existing access.
- Specific people.
- People in your organization with the link
Anyone with the link’ is the link type most SharePoint and Global admins want to enable. For better security, it will be better to pick another link type that is a little more restrictive as the default option. You should also let users pick other link types as per requirement. You can set up the default link type in two ways: organizational level and site level.
Steps to change the organization-level setting
You need to be a SharePoint Admin or Global Admin to perform this action.
- Sign in to https://admin.microsoft.com.
- Pick SharePoint, from the left pane, under Admin Centers.
- Choose Try it now to go to the new SharePoint center.
- Pick Sharing from the left pane, under Policies.
- Choose the desired option from the File and folder links
Steps to change the site-level setting for default link type
- From the left pane of the classic SharePoint admin center, pick Site collections.
- Pick the site you wish to change and select Sharing.
- Uncheck the Respect default organization setting check box placed under Default link type.
- And pick the desired option available.
- Uncheck the Respect default organization setting from the Default link permission section.
- Pick either View or Edit options and click Save.
Dock 365 Intranet Portal is 2019-Ready
Dock is a Pre-Built intranet portal for your organization. It is powered by Microsoft SharePoint & Office 365. Dock also comes with project management, contract management, and many other business productivity features. Dock creates sustained, connections and conversations across the organization, promoting better employee experience and organizational performance.